Dear Lilan, Why are the angles so important? Signed, Confused
Dear Confused, In astrology we are using a symbolic language which means that there are multiple interpretations and ways to approach the chart. There is no “truth” about the right way.
Regarding the Angles: We use symbols for all the planets in astrology. But you don’t see the symbol for Earth because the planetary positions are calculated from the position of the Earth. Earth is the rock upon which we live and take a stand. The symbol for the Earth is a circle with a cross in center, like the 4 directions on a compass or medicine wheel. The horoscope upon which we place the position of the planets is also a circle with a cross in the center and represents the arenas of our life on Earth.
The 4 points of the cross are the angles and are very important points in the horoscope. The Ascendent (1st house) is all about ME!, which is your physical self that is visible to the world including your personality, physical characteristics, and place of personal expression and growth. Nadir (4th house, also called the I.C.) is the root of the chart and represents your physical roots, like home, family, and your emotional roots, including the Soul, safety, and nurturing (which can point toward your nurturing parent). Descendent (7th house) which is opposite the Me quality of the Ascendent and represents the We part of your life, including relationships, marriage, and close partnerships. Midheaven (10th house, also called the M.C.) is the top pinnacle of your chart and is opposite the rootedness of the Nadir. Midheaven is where you show up taking a stand in the world, is your public reputation, and can be career.
These four arenas of life — Myself, Others, Home, and Public — are the cornerstones of our life. Other experiences like money, play, heath, education, etc, all occur within the bounds of these 4 angles. You can get information about each of these angles by looking at the sign on that angle. Use this process and see if you can figure out more about these 4 important areas in you life. Start with the Ascendent.
1. Look to the sign on your Ascendent, also called your rising sign.
2. What is the planet that rules that sign? This planet is called your chart ruler. For example, if your rising sign is Aries, Mars is the ruler. So Mars is your chart ruler.
3. Find your chart ruler in your horoscope. So, in the above example, find Mars in your chart and notice the sign and house of your chart ruler. For example, Mars is in Taurus in the 4th house.
4. The sign your chart ruler is in gives additional information (beyond the rising sign) to how your personality is expressed. If Mars is in Taurus, you express your personality in a solid and dependable way. This Taurus influence would stabilize your Aries rising. If, on the other hand, your chart ruler Mars was in Gemini you would express your personality by talking and communicating. This Gemini influence would excite your Aries rising.
5. The House your chart ruler is in is where your personality shines. So, if Mars in Taurus was in the 4th house, your personality would shine in your home, where you might initiate (Aries) activities that solidify the home environment (Taurus).
6. You would also include aspects to your chart ruler, but that is more advanced, so at first just stick with sign and house.
To do this you need to know which planet rules each sign. Remember: Planets rule the Signs –Signs rule the Houses. Rulerships are: Aries is ruled by Mars Taurus/Venus Gemini/Mercury Cancer/Moon Leo/Sun Virgo/Mercury Libra/Venus Scorpio/Pluto Sagittarius/Jupiter Capricorn/Saturn Aquarius/Uranus Pisces/Neptune
Do the process for the sign on each of your other angles. So, for the Nadir, find the sign on the Nadir (4th house), look for the planet that rules that sign, and find see what sign and house it is in (for example, if you have Capricorn on the 4th house, look for the sign and house placement of Saturn). Capricorn on the 4th would bring a sense of responsibility to the home. If Saturn, it’s ruler was in Taurus in the 7th house of marriage, a strong and stable marriage would be important to you.